tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop....25 years

My 1996 Ford E150 V8 5.ltr. I had the belt tensioner pivot?

Customer Question

My 1996 Ford E150 V8 5.ltr. I had the belt tensioner pivot? bolt snap after the wheel froze. The piece fell off, before I got onto the freeway. There was enough exposed bolt that a pair of vise grips was able to grip and bring the bolt out of the generator housing. The biggest problem I face is/was finding how the belt was run through all of it's points. The belt doesn't look worn so I thought I might be able to replace the old tensioner with a new one. I removed: the fan housing, drained rad & cooling sys, fan blades & cowling. I started the new bolt to hold the replacement against what seem to be metal stops so the base is fixed onto the gen' housing. I'm going to tighten, ( the bolt is only about finger tight at this point) and the put the ten' wheel into the proper placement on the belt. I have only a little income and so I might be in over my head but it turns a 15min trip to the clinic into over an hour public trip. Thank you for, even if you only read this missive, your attention. Gerald Piper***@******.***,(###) ###-####
JA: Which belt are you dealing with? And have you changed one before?
Customer: I haven't changed one before, at least not one of the serpentine belts. The pully is a straight, or so it seems, mechanical one for one replacement. The belt showed very little wear. There is no belt diagram on the hood latch area and I've gone to the web to see what I can find. Jerry
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was able to latch onto the part of the bolt that was sticking out of the gen' housing, after I had done the the work to make enough room to work in. The part I bought came from O'Reily's and there was no difference I could find.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I found the diagram on
Category: Ford
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help