Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Missing, 2000 ford f150, it is missing really bad at 45 mph

Customer Question

JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2000 ford f150
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it is missing really bad at 45 mph and rough idle
JA: Is the rough idle intermittent or consistent?
Customer: intermittent when I mash it to the floor the miss is gone
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: how much this cost
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: okay
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you there are not
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Thats because I need to know your engine size.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Let me do some digging and post back shortly.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 months ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay! The most common cause for this hesitation is bad tune up parts (spark plugs and ignition coils), bad tune up parts and or a bad/lazy oxygen sensor. These go bad all of the time. Another thing you can check is the EGR valve and system by disabling the EGR valve and taking the vehicle for a spin to see if the problem is no longer present. If not, I would suspect a bad EGR or plugged EGR passages. If the problem persists, then it is not related to the EGR system. Another I would recommend to check is the fuel pressure as it may be low under certain "load conditions". I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further questions!