EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

Obd 2 code p0351. changed both coil pack and spark plug.

Customer Question

obd 2 code p0351. changed both coil pack and spark plug. Also the a/c clutch won't engage.
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: A little trouble shifing.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2005 ford five hundred
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just started with coil pack and spark plug with the p0351 code. Would like to fix myself
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Rough idle at low speed and goes back to running smooth at higher rpms.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 3 months ago.

Hi. For a p0351 to set it indicates a problem with the ignition coil, the ignition coil wiring to the pcm, or the pcm itself. What cylinder coil did you replace?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Both front and rear on the passenger side

Ok. Number 1 is the first cylinder on passenger side under the intake. You need to check the wiring next. You can verify you have power at the coil connector. Then you can verify the ground is being pulsed on the other wire at the coil connector.

I see you viewed my last response. DId you fix your car? do you need any assistance? Let me know so I can continue or close this question. Thanks.

Thanks for allowing me to assist you and please rate my assistance using the 5 star rating method. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Wiring checks out, have power and getting pulse .
Still getting a misfire at low rpm and the shifting is all over the place now. A/C compressor clutch still won't engage.

If the wiring checks out and you replaced the coil already on the correct cylinder of number 1, then it would seem the PCM is at fault. The pcm has the drivers that grounds the coils to fire the plug. The trans shifting and the a.c are probably not related.

If the ac is losing its charge then the compressor will not turn on. You want to make sure there is freon in the system first. FOr the shifting, do you have a transmission problem maybe? Have you received any other codes then p0351?