AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I have a 2002 ford ranger, a no start after eng. failure 4.0

Customer Question

I have a 2002 ford ranger, a no start after eng. failure 4.0 eng. 158,000 miles a wet and dry test i took, first dry, 1-180 psi, 2-105 psi, 3-0 psi
4-105 psi, 5- 125 psi, 6-25 psi. now for a wet test oil injected in cyl. 1-170 psi, 2-130 psi, 3-0 psi. 4-160 psi, 5-170 psi. 6-35 psi., Is the problem in the head or is it the rings due to a variation in the compression tests
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
its a straight forward question of the difference between a wet and dry test and the ans. being the heads or is it the rings
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

I suspect the valve timing is off causing the no start condition. However, to answer your question, if anything, it would be the piston rings that allows the engine compression to come up when doing a wet compression test.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 9 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

Let me know!