Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2007 fORD F150 4.2l ENGINE LIGHT ON 2ND START EVERY TIME

Customer Question

2007 fORD F150 4.2l ENGINE LIGHT ON 2ND START EVERY TIME CODE P0446. NO POWER OR GROUND AT PURGE VALVE CONNECTOR BUT PURGE VALVE DOES SEEM TO BE WORKING
Category: Ford
Expert:  roy replied 3 months ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

how do you know it is working???

to check the valve, disconnect the electrical connector and the hose that goes back to the tank. start the engine and see if you feel vacuum at the open end of the valve. if you do, the valve is bad. if you do not, then it is good.

as far as electrical, you need 12 volts at the valve with the key on. the pcm controls the ground.

Roy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok, I hooked the valve up to a jumper pack and heard it open and close but I have no power in the wires at the connector. It is a new purge valve also. I will try starting it
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David, if there is no power at the connector then it most be something else you are hearing. a better way to test it is to remove the valve, apply 12 vdc to the valve and try blowing through it. if it is working you should be able to blow through it. then remove the 12vdc and you shouldn't be able to blow through it.

any update?

hello??

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

The previous tech has opted out. You will only get ground at the purge valve when it is commanded by the PCM. Though it should be getting power on the RD/YE wire with the key on from fuse 32. If this fuse is good and powered then the wire is broken.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris