James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

No ficm sync

Customer Question

no ficm sync
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

Do you have regularer sync

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is no regular sync only ficm sync no rpm
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

RPM is seen off of the camshaft sensor. I would remove the camshaft sensor and clean off the mounting surface so it is nice and shiny. Reinstall and see if you can get an RPM reading now.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry I have rpm new cam new crank no ficm sync correct ohms just no sync
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

so you have an RPM reading but still no sync or FICM sync. I would clean the mounting surfaces on both camshaft and crank sensors. They are very sensitive and if the block isn't clean metal it can through the clearance off so they don't read correctly.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Engine was completely cleaned painted before install. Starts on ether. What else would through sync off or nothing? Both sensors clean and new correct reading I have between 160-212rpm and icp 1650psi. Almost everything is new. Pcm or ficm relay? Is there any fuses to double check
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

Does it continue to run after it starts on ether.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No only runs on ether injectors not firing have plenty fuel pressure 48v on ficm
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

Without sync or FICM sync the injectors won't fire. If your 100% positive the mounting surfaces are clean Next is to ohm the wires out for the camshaft and crankshaft sensor. You can only have FICM sync if you have regular sync. Without both of these the engine won't run. Sometimes the camshaft wires can break. I have had had paint on new blocks be build up to much and cause interference.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No paint problem new wires new plugs new harness
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

You can use a bore scope and see if the pin fell out of the camshaft itself. If that fell out you will have a no start situation. Same of the crankshaft sensor and make sure they have teeth around the crank and didn't miss it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No scope but how would I have correct rpm?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have regular sync with ether and almost started cause showed once ficm sync
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.
If you open the fuel filter housing is it full of fuel
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.
Also does it pass injector buzz test?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.
Does this have a programmer installed at all?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It did have sct on it on old engine set on tow haul
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I guess I can check with scope tomorrow. I know ether is bad it starts then Dies fast I wait the try a few turns I get sync then start then dies
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.
Is it in stock mode right now?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure I'm pretty sure I set it back also reset computer +- together key on lights on ten minutes. I will check in the am. Engine has 200k on it I rebuild top end gaskets studs I'm really stumped wondering if it's the ring bearing or cam point. Just if ether one was bad would I still get sync after ether or is that a false reading but sounds like normal start not high rev ether
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.
It's possible. If the engine is spinning fast enough sync will say yes. It should say yes before the engine starts. That is why I think cleaning the surface areas will make a difference.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try that tomorrow and check pcm to ficm ohms on cam crank? If I get rpm without ether cranking would pin or ring bearing be bad even though it's falling under the required rpm to start? How do I clean area with motor in?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can ebp sensor and gp module cause no sync if shorted out. I forgot to unplug glow plugs my first time with ether had large pop light firecracker. Wonder if that messed anything up
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.
They can't because they work independently of the EBP and GPR
Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

Hello, were you able to get the vehicle started?

Expert:  James replied 3 months ago.

Hello, were you able to get ficm sync?