Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM, Ford, Chrysler, nissan, mazda...30 years. ASE Master, troubleshooter

When I am driving and come to a stop it will not idle it

Customer Question

when I am driving and come to a stop it will not idle it quits but will start right up
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: they have a little on them
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2001 ford escort
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced mass air flow senor and an sensor neither one helped
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

That could be an idle air control problem or just dirt in the air passages in the throttle body.

You will want to do a throttle body cleaning on it to make sure that all of the idle air passages are clear of any carbon build up.

You can pick up a can of “throttle body cleaner” just about anywhere auto parts are sold.

You can normally follow the directions on the can but I always spray some in the intake while the throttle plate is closed to be sure that it gets into all of the passages. You don’t want to use carb cleaner though, as it’s not safe for the 02 sensors.

Also, you want to be sure that there are no vacuum leaks and that the intake air hose is on good and free of any cracks.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.