Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2003 ford explorer cant pass inspection. need pattern

Customer Question

2003 ford explorer cant pass inspection. need pattern driving to reset system monitors..
Category: Ford
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 3 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help. It sounds like you have tried to get the vehicle inspected and the readiness monitors aren't passing. Were you having problems with a check engine light or the battery dying?

Hi, do you still need help with this problem?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
repairs were made and I drove 547 to try to clear the errors

During this time, has your light come back on?

Also, what state are you in? I want to look at the rules for inspection for your state as there may be another way.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
all lights are off and the car is driving correctly however, t6he system monitors still show not ready...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Tx

Gotcha...sometimes this can be a problem with Ford. Give me a moment while I look at something for you...

It seems that there is an option in Texas to obtain a repair authorization waiver. This basically means that you take the receipts from where you had the vehicle repaired along with the print-outs from the inspections you have attempted since then that show the progression of mileage and that it is still not ready and show them to your local DMV. I will copy a snippet of the Texas DMV website that I found that may be of some use to you. There is also a form listed on this website that you need to fill out. Sometimes with these Fords they can be very very difficult to get 'ready' for inspection. I had a customer in a crown victoria of the same year have to drive over 1000 miles before all the readiness monitors cleared on her car. She got herself a waiver much sooner than this

FORM VIE-7: The VIE-7 (Vehicle Repair Form) must be completed for a customer to receive a re-inspection or to apply for a waiver. A customer should have a form VIE-7 if they failed the emission inspection. If they do not bring a VIE-7 with them to the waiver station, the form can be accessed here by clicking on VIE-7.

There are four separate waiver and time extension categories. Click on the categories below for details.

Individual Vehicle Waiver

If a motorist's vehicle has failed an emissions test, the motorist may petition the Director of the DPS for an Individual Vehicle Waiver. The motorist must demonstrate that:

1. the motorist has taken every reasonable measure to comply with the requirements of the vehicle emissions I/M program contained in the Revised Texas I/M SIP; and
  2. a waiver shall have minimal impact on air quality.

Reasonable measures are considered to be:

1. Vehicles diagnosed and repaired at any Recognized Repair Facility, qualify to claim the cost of diagnosis, parts and labor.
  2. Vehicles not diagnosed and repaired at Recognized Repair Facility, qualify to claim the cost of parts only.
  3. Vehicles will be visually inspected by a Texas Department of Public Safety representative to insure that emission repairs being claimed have been performed.
  4. For more information contact your local Texas Department of Public Safety Vehicle Inspection office.

Motorist may apply for the Individual Vehicle Waiver each testing cycle.

Hi, this is Josh checking in to see if you had any further questions...

Hi, this is Josh again checking to see if you have resolved this problem. Please let me know if I can help any further and don't forget to leave a positive rating if you were pleased with my service.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** is the information related to the drive cycles you were looking for. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r6yvm3ntdqxx81m/dcse.pdf?dl=0