john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field

I have a Ford 150 4.6 V8 that the check engine came one and

Customer Question

I have a Ford 150 4.6 V8 that the check engine came one and the code was a misfire in the #3 cylinder. It is a recent purchase and passed safety and emissions last month. I took it to a mechanic he pulled the plug thought he saw moisture and thinks its the head gasket. It is running cool the temperature gage has never gone to 1/2. There is no white smoke or any smoke at all. It passed Utah Safety and emission just last month. Would it pass emission with a head gasket leak and would a compression test tell me whether it is the gasket? I'm feeling very stupid right now and for buying the truck.
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: No never have seen the code before and it has never stalled. When the check engine light came on I was in traffic and the engine still was running cool and it just idled a little rougher at stops.
JA: What year is your E150?
Customer: 1998
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I think it might be a bigger job than what I'm able to do. I'm getting back from the mechanic now. The only thing I have done is take it to a mechanic.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of. It does have a newer radiator that was put in last year from the previous owner.
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 2 months ago.

did he change the plug and coil?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is running fine now

that should be it thats the # 1 cause

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 1 month ago.

Is there a reason you haven't rated me yet? Is there more information you'd like that i can get you or a question to be answered or clarified? In order for me to close out this question and get paid for my time and service i need a rating of 3 to 5 stars so if you could do that for you it would be greatly appreciated!