Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My mother has a 03 ford explorer sport trac that only lets

Customer Question

My mother has a 03 ford explorer sport trac that only lets her put in a little fuel at a time without it spirting back out. What could cause this?
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Seeems to crank ok & it didn't seem to use alot of gas.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, She has no money so I hope to find the problem? Haven't done anything yet.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: She did complaint of smelling gas when she was driving, don't know if same problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** usually means the fuel tank itself is the problem. Check the canister vent solenoid hose for any obstruction and clean or repair as needed. If the vent hose is not restricted, remove the canister vent solenoid from the canister. Verify that it is open and free of any restrictions. If not, replace and retest. If the vent solenoid is OK, check the charcoal canister for any restriction. Repair/replace as needed and retest. If the canister appears free of any restriction, remove the fuel vent hoses as close to the fuel tank as possible. Try filling the fuel tank with the hoses disconnected at the fuel tank to see if it fills as it should, or if the gas pump still wants to click off too easily. If the problem is still present, verify there is no obstruction in the filler neck. If the filler neck is OK, suspect a problem with the vent valve(s) in the top of the fuel tank which would require tank replacement. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.