Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

I need help troubleshooting for open circuit's or sensors

Customer Question

I need help troubleshooting for open circuit's or sensors and the circuit and color code(eg Red/white) of the moon roof and vent windows. I think they are related as they both don't work
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1997 expedition Codes were 0300,E140, 6700, I left the code reader on so they are cleared. I guess I will have to drive it to read them again or what?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tested the fuses ok , looked for power at the switches and motor, none checked harness at the firewall, ok. Turned the motor with allen wrench to close moon roof so I can use the vehicle.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: All wheel drive doesn't work, Light flashes. Ok in 4x4 high and low. I don't need to fix this now unless it is related.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

There normally is a letter in front of those codes, like when you sais E140 but you didnt' even give the entire code for it, because normally there is one letter followed by 4 numbers, such as P0300.

Now as far as the moon roof and vent windows go, have you checked the fuse first?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

the power moon roof and the vent windows are both fed from the #25 fuse in the power distribution box left side under hood. if that is ok, try a new "vent window/moonroof full relay" located in the rpo relay box above passenger side air bag.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The relay above the passenger airbag checked out ok
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

What about the fuse? How did you check that relay?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No power at relay orange with black
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Did you check the fuse? This is the 3rd time now.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is power going through fuses 25 and 29 at power dist.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

ok, double check your wire color cause the diagram said red/black not orange/black. anyhow, you obviously have an open or shorted red/black or orange/black wire from the fuse to that relay.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 months ago.

Did you find the open/short?