Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

99 f250 7.3 powerstroke superduty. new hydro boost, new

Customer Question

99 f250 7.3 powerstroke superduty. new hydro boost, new power steering pump, new steering box. when braking I lose power steering. Power steering pump is whining loudly and whining badly when pressing brake. Not just an air issue in the lines. Something is causing the pump to fail. If it's not any of the major components can a restriction be found elsewhere in the system like the cooler, high pressure lines, valve in steering box, kink in line during install? Anything else that may be even crazy? Mechanics seemed to be stumped. thanks!!!!
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: fluid checked each time they throw a part at it. Always ok. Whining is constant and while turning and while braking
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: At mechanics again - 4th time. new hydroboost, new steering box, new pump
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: what else should be looked at
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

So far this looks to be a restriction after the steering gear in the return line and cooler effecting the ability of the fluids ability to get back to the reservoir and pump. I wanted to say its the hydro boost to blame but its new. Are you sure this pump is not a cheap aftermarket one that is not putting out enough pressure and flow?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your help. the pump (4th in 8 months) was installed last Thursday. A Motorcraft pump and warrantied. Hydroboost installed under warranty yesterday. two steering boxes within 2016. After installing the booster yesterday, pump and brakes whine badly. I'm bothered they haven't put the analyzer (talking like I know) on lines to see where pressures vary. They're bypassing the cooler to see if it makes a difference (today) and if problems persist, he's going to manufacturer's high pressure lines. I feel we just keep chasing. Ever seen a cooler be constrictive?

At least motorcraft parts are being installed and the dealership is doing the parts and labor repairs for free. Yes I have seen a restricted cooler from things impacting it as well when a component on this system fails and packs it full of metal debris. Now knowing Ford parts are being used they should be doing pressure and flow tests as well as confirming they are getting all the air out of the system which is not the easiest of tasks on this setup. Extended run time with air in the system can make parts in this system fail premature. Another thing to check is the steering and suspension joints to see if any are worn and making it hard for the gearbox to turn the wheels.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks Moose. He just called me to let me know they found that an original HP line from the booster to box is still being used. There's an after market hose from the pump to the booster. He's installing a new hose from booster to box to see if this is where the issue has been. Are hoses a common problem. No leaking has been found but they're thinking the hose is bad inside and may have collapsed. Again, is this something common?

The only hose issues I run into are when they leak. I have never seen a pressurized line collapse that is always under pressure when running. I have seen it on brake hoses but only when not applying the brakes and the the fluid can not return when not under pressure keeping the caliper applied.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris