Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair

Windshield wipers stopped. motor still works. wippers dont

Customer Question

windshield wipers stopped. motor still works. wippers dont work. what is wrong. it is a 2007 ford explorer
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: when wippers are on you can here motor running. wippers dont move
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. have not tried nothing yet.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no just wondering how hard it is to fix.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

If the wiper motor is running yet the arms are not moving, this is most commonly due to a problem with the wiper motor transmission. The transmission has pivot balls that can pop out causing the arms and motor to become disconnected. Unfortunately, once popped, this is usually unrepeatable and replacement is necessary. The wiper transmission sells for around $279 and the Labor Time Guide calls for 1 hour to complete the job. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed?