James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

2010 focus SE. Automatic gear shifter lights have stopped

Customer Question

2010 focus SE. Automatic gear shifter lights have stopped working along with some lower lights such as traction control, etc. Along with illumination of steering wheel illumination of cruise control, radio volume, etc. Fuse #10 within the interior fuse box was blown and I replaced it but lights still don't work. Where do I check next? Is there an associated fuse or relay under the hood or elsewhere? If so, what is the technical name and location? Would a Chilton manual have the detail and pics I need?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Hello if you remove fuse 10 again did it blow again?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just finished pulling that fuse again and it's not blown. I did start the car to make sure it wasn't a switch issue. Also, I did pull several fuses to check if blown because the Focus manual I have doesn't list exactly which fuse goes with the shifter and other lighting, several could have possible to the lights at issue. Also, what is the component within the attached photo file? I can't find where it was mounted or even if it's supposed to be attached to something in the engine compartment, couldn't find anywhere obvious within range of the wire length.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Focus lighting mystery.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

The component in your photo is a capacitor for radio interference. If you move the interior dimmer switch up and down the lights still don't work correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Correct. I did make sure that the lights weren't illuminated because the dimmer switch/wheel was set on low/off.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Do you have a test light or volt metr to test for voltage at the fuse? It should have 12v on both sides.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I bought a light probe. I tested every fuse within the interior fuse box and all worked, except for maybe two in 'not used' slots. Fuse #10, assuming that is the one that protects circuitry for the shifter light and steering wheel and lower button backlights, lit up the probe on both sides. The manual I have does not include a wiring diagram, but I know you have one, so is there an in-line fuse or relay? Would a blown shifter bulb equate to other lights not working somehow? I also tested the small amp fuses, or ones testable with my light probe without moving them from there slots, and did not find anything blown. I did make sure the light probe was well grounded during its use.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Here is the diagram you need. If the fuse blew it could be due to a short some place or the smart junction box can be to blame. The first this is disconnect both positive and negative cables. Touch them together and this will perform a hard reset on everything. If that doesn't work it makes me think the problem is going to be the dimmer switch itself causing the issue. When you roll the switch all the way up does the dome light at least work?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just checked the map lights and dome lights will come on. I hate to ask, but is SJB the same as the interior fuse box? Touch negative and positive together that leads to the SJB? A better question may be; where is SJB located?
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry my last response didn't seem to go through. The SJB is the smart junction box. It is the interior fuse panel with a fancy name. If that part works it makes me think the wire might be broken for the illumination or the SJB logic could have burned out. With the illumination on the VT/GY wire should have 12v. If you have power here then there is a break in the wire. If you don't get power here and the fuse has power then the SJB is faulty.