Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.

My 1996 f 350 ford quits running when i stop at stop signs

Customer Question

my 1996 f 350 ford quits running when i stop at stop signs and starts up right away
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Have you had the fault codes checked/read out at all with a compatible scan tool to see what codes may be set with this issue at all?

Has anything been checked,tested or replaced to try and locate or repair this fault here at all?

Does it feel like its chugging or misfiring before the stall out occurs or does it just stall right out?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no i have no way to check codes when i come to a stop sign jt quits and it starts right and if i accerate fast jt will quit also
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it stalls just like you turn the key off
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

This may be due to a fault with the camshaft position sensor or the electronic ignition switch itself as these can be common components I have seen in several models with issues like this here.The cam sensor is located front center of the engine as shown below.

The ignition switch is located on the steering column itself and the key cylinder activates it when in operation.I have seen this fail on this model needing replaced.

If you have not had the fault codes checked at all the first thing that needs to be done here is to have the codes checked to see what codes are set using a fully compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers.Once this is done any codes set will help locate and repair this issue here.I suspect one of these two here are the cause needing replaced but its difficult to say for sure from here without knowing what codes are set.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete