Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Why won't my AC compressor engage on my 1996 Ford Ranger? I

Customer Question

Why won't my AC compressor engage on my 1996 Ford Ranger? I can remove the relay and apply 12v to slot 87a and it comes on and blows cold air. When I put the relay in the compressor doesn't come on and I can feel the relay clicking. I bought new relay and it does the same thing. I also read that jumpering slot 30 to 87a should turn on compressor but it does not. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  kalamykid replied 6 months ago.

Have you checked all the fuses to make sure you have power on both sides of them?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I've checked the 15amp AC fuse in the cab and it's good. How do I check "both sides" with the fuse plugged in?

Use a test light. Connect the cord to a good ground, and see if the light lights up when you touch the metal piece that sticks out of the plastic on each side.

Or you can use a digital volt meter with the black lead to a good ground and use the red lead to touch the metal pieces

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll test with my volt/ohm meter.

let me know what the voltage is please.