Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

The solenoid pack in the transmission is intermittently

Customer Question

the solenoid pack in the transmission is intermittently operating and throwing 13 codes regarding the solenoid pack. the pack has been replaced by a remanufactured one, then with a new one. harness has been tested for continuity. all grounds and fuses have been cleaned and fitted with dielectric grease and the problem persists
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Fault log report generated by Torque for Android
=================================================Vehicle VIN: 1FMEU73E97UB54554
Vehicle Manufacturer: Ford
Vehicle Calibration ID: PWFE0AB.HEXCurrent Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no current faultsPending Fault Log
------------------
P0750: Shift Solenoid "A"
P0755: Unknown code - More information may be available on the web
P0765: Shift Solenoid "B"Historic Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
(possibly pending, current or manufacturer specific)
----------------------------------------------------
P0753: Shift Solenoid "A" Electrical
P0758: Shift Solenoid "B" Electrical
P0760: Shift Solenoid "C"
P0763: Shift Solenoid "C" Electrical
P0768: Shift Solenoid "D" Electrical
P1000: [Ford] OBD-II Monitor Testing IncompleteThe codes have been reset and will drive normally for x amount of miles and then throw the codes. Mightrangefrom 2 miles from start up to 100 miles with no issues
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have replaced the solenoid pack, the connector, cleaned all grounds, checked the battery, checked for continuity in the harness from the tranny to the pcm ran a test with a certified ford mechanic on a maxysis pro and everything works fine for several miles. then out of the blue gets stuck in a single gear or neutral. the transmission fluid has been replaced as well anda new filter isin place too
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: therange sensor seems to be working fine, transmission fluid is operating at 200 F on an incline when ambient temp is about 86. And all of the sudden it just snaps out of it and operates normally for several miles. Even the wrench light will go out on its own
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello again,I was typing from my tablet and now I realize there are tons of typos along the way. This info I posted on the explorer forum might give you a clearer idea of where I'm at with this car.I have 2007 4x4 4.0L XLT Explorer that is showing these codes every day and then working fineVehicle Manufacturer: Ford
------------------
P0750: Shift Solenoid "A"
P0755: null
P0765: Shift Solenoid "B"Pending Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no pending faultsHistoric Fault Log
------------------
ECU reports no historic faults
Other discovered fault codes
P0442: Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)
P0732: Gear 2 Incorrect Ratio
P0753: Shift Solenoid "A" Electrical
P0758: Shift Solenoid "B" Electrical
P0760: Shift Solenoid "C"
P0763: Shift Solenoid "C" Electrical
P0768: Shift Solenoid "D" Electrical
P1000: OBD-II Monitor Testing IncompleteAbout 6 months ago, the connector to the solenoid pack on the transmission got filled with water from the AC outlet, shorted out and killed both connectors (on the solenoid pack and the connector on the harness). I replaced the solenoid pack with a rebuilt one and a new harness connector and it worked flawlessly for about 4 months.The problem reappeared about 6 weeks ago. At first the wrench will show with no side effects and drive for about 50 miles without coming up again. Eventually it got to show more often and then would get stuck on a single gear (either first, second or third). Got a Ford tech to look at it and he decided to replace the solenoid pack with a brand new OEM one and fresh filter and fluid last week. That didn't work.Another transmission mechanic said it was a loose connection and that we needed to remove the red plastic cover on the harness connector to make a better seating between the connector and the solenoid pack and that didn't work either.Now ALL the grounds have been cleaned with contact cleaner and a mild scrub with sand paper and redone with dielectric grease, ALL the fuses and relays have been cleaned the same way and so have the battery terminals. The harness has been tested for continuity and wires from the connector to the PCM pass with no problems whatsoever.The problem first generates the wrench and sometimes the car will sit like it is on neutral (no reverse or drive) regardless of the shifter position and some other times it will drive on first gear only. After a few minutes the wrench will still be on, but everything will be back to normal. All the gears will shift nice and smoothly for several miles until it shows again. The second time the problem comes up, the check engine light will come on along with it. The same problem comes and goes absolutely at random. Will appear at different temperatures, road conditions, speeds and distances traveled. We have hooked up a Autel MaxiSys Pro scanner and it shows the shifter is sending the proper signals (Park/Neutral, Reverse, Auto 1, Manual 3, Manual 2, Manual 1). While driving (when its working fine) it shows the solenoids activating properly to make the shifts. Temperature on the transmission shows about 200 F going up a fairly steep incline (ambient temp is about 86-90 F).After the codes have been erased, a test with the Autel MaxiSys Pro scanner will show no relevant faults (a brake light and the tire pressure sensors malfunction only).Something that caught my attention is that I had to go on a two week trip in the middle of all of this and the explorer just sat there. When I came back, it had a hard start. I turned the key, everything on the dash went dark for a split second and then it started. I cleaned the battery terminals which had the white/green buildup and then drove it around for about 100 miles without having the problem come up again. Another interesting fact is that sometimes the car will start up and immediately show the wrench, without moving the shifter or even pressing the brakes. After that it will show at least one time at every drive. Sometimes 1 mile after driving, some other times it will go for 50 miles without it coming up.
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 3 months ago.

How many miles are on this vehicle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
80k

Most likely the issue you are having now, although similar is not related to the previous issue with water intrusion, I believe the valve body is your issue, these vehicles are known for trash from the clutches building up in the valve body passages and causing the shift solenoid codes, The actual failure has to do with wear on the clutches internal in the transmission, simply replacing the valve body will not solve the issue, replacement of the transmission will solve the issue. Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry, but that does not seem to apply to this scenario for the following reasons.1. When the fluid was drained on the second replacement of the remanufactured solenoid pack, the fluid was not extremely dirty and there was no significant debris buildup in the magnet on the pan.2. If the clutches were actually failing, there would be considerable slippage which is not present when the transmission decides to work properly.3. If debris would be lodging up on the valve body passages, the car would not drive smoothly for 50 or even 100 miles. Nor the problem be presented at a standstill startup. (engine on, car parked, shifter in neutral or park).4. The new fluid would already be contaminated by the sludge after shifting through all the gears in repeated cycles. Fluid still looks like new.5. If something were to block a solenoid from operating, the problem would be isolated to a single solenoid at random every time, not ALL solenoids coming up consistently on both the remanufactured and the new solenoid pack.I'm all ears to other options.

i disagree, so i am going to opt out to give another expert a chance to weigh in.

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

It does seem to be a connectivity issue. One thing that might help you find the problem is doing dynamic "wiggle tests" with the scan tool plugged in and displaying all shift-related PID.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have performed a very basic wiggle test and have not been able to replicate the problem. I am willing to perform a new one if there are any specific points you'd like me to test or specific procedures to follow.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is there any specific test you have in mind?