Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2001 explorer sport 4cyl car running rough when in drive it

Customer Question

2001 explorer sport 4cyl car running rough when in drive it loses power and stalls out in park at higher rpms it smooths out. I chained ignition wires still the same.
Category: Ford
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David and will be assisting you today. The very first ting that I do with vehicles acting like this is look to see if the check engine light is on.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

yes it is

Ok. you need to see why it is on. do you have a code reader?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

no .

you need to take it to a shop or an autoparts store to have the computer scanned for fault codes. a shop will charge for the diagnostic, an auto parts store like Advance Auto will do it for free. Then we can go from there.

or you can can replace the spark plugs, clean the maf, iac, egr and throttlebody to see if that remedies your problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

I disconnected battery yesterday so check engine light is off . i may have cleared the codes with the reader the only code right now is bank 1 system too lean, pending. also gas cap was missing and we had rain so i got a new cap and added some sea foam. car runs ok on level roads but hills loses power.

a vacuum leak test needs to be done also then, theres to much air getting into the engine. usually caused by a vaccum leak or air getting in the intake pst the maf sensor.

were you able to get the codes?

do you still need assistance??

hello????

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

The previous tech has opted out. Would you like me to help with this possible air fuel ratio concern?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris