Fix It Man
Fix It Man, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, AA Degree Auto/Diesel
1627031

I can't find the vacuum reservoir on my 2005 E-450. I think

Customer Question

I can't find the vacuum reservoir on my 2005 E-450. I think it may be under the blower motor but I can't find anything that says for sure. Also, if that is where it is located, how the heck do I get to it without major dismantling?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: It is an automatic, and has about 29K. I forgot to mention that it is a Super Duty that was used as the base for an RV.
JA: What is the model of your '05 Ford?
Customer: E-450 Super Duty.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I have traced the vacuum from the engine to where the line goes down behind the heater fan by the fender. I then replaced all the switches in the dash and traced the vacuum to where it goes through the firewall in the passenger footwell.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's about it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Fix It Man replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** the vacuum reservoir is located inside of the evaporator core housing. In order to change this the entire evaporator core housing would need to be removed. The dash needs to come out also to do this. This is a bad design by Ford which makes it very hard to replace. What is the problem with the vehicle?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The ac/heater reverted to the defroster and won't change. I replaced the in dash switches and traced all the vacuum lines and also tested the vacuum motors. It seems that the problem is centralized at the reservoir. I watched a video on U-tube about bypassing the reservoir with a different line, which worked, however, I wonder if that wouldn't cause problems without the tank.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello, Are you there?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay, I don't understand what is going on. I paid $28 to get help with my problem, but have gotten no information that I didn't already have. What the heck, is this sight just another ripoff?

I am sorry. I got disconnected.

It is easier to bypass it. The only downfall of that is that you will not have any vacuum available during acceleration or when the vehicle is turned of, which you really do not need. There are no long term issues with this. Most people choose not to change it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay thanks. As long as there won't be any mechanical problems, I think that I will just do the bypass. I was just afraid that it would cause other problems in the future. Thanks again.

Definitely not. Everything else will be fine. If you need anything else please let me know. Please rate when you can also. Thank you and have a great rest of your night.