Cardoctor71
Cardoctor71, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  MasterCertified Technician with 35 years experience, Owner of two full service repair facilities
36867192

I've noticed for about the past week that whenever I slow to

Customer Question

Hi. I've noticed for about the past week that whenever I slow to make a turn, say - onto a side street, when I finish my turn and start to accelerate, the cooling fan roars like the clutch is engaged. After a couple of seconds, it would release and all would be well, no temperature deviation on the gauge. Today when I made a turn, the same thing happened except I thought I saw the temp gauge move. So I turned onto another street and sure enough, maybe 2 seconds after the fan clutch released, the temp gauge jumped up about a quarter and then came back down. As long as I am running on the road or highway, the clutch does not engage, the gauge does not move, stays centered. I came up behind a slower car, slowed a few seconds and then accelerated around. The fan clutch disengaged about half way around the vehicle, when I pulled back into my lane and looked at the gauge, it went up between 3/4 and Hot. Then slowly came back down to the center mark and stayed there. Is it just me or is this supposed to happen the other way around? lol ... Oh, and if I sit in traffic or at a red light, no change in the gauge. Only when I accelerate, the fan clutch releases, then the gauge jumps up and comes back down. Does this sound like an actual cooling problem or could it be a sensor / clutch problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Cardoctor71 replied 3 months ago.

What year and make is your vehicle,what engine size?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2008 Ford Sport Trac XLT 4.0

Fan clutch has a known issue with a sensor failure with in it, also if fan clutch louder than normal it has excessive slippage occurring, replacing the fan clutch will most likely solve your issue. Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Alright, I'll give it a shot and let you know. Thank you.

Please accept my answer, if you have any further questions I will answer them until you are completely satisfied with my answers.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

A quality scanner can unlock the ignition. I doubt the keys are the fault. Do not remove the CIM until you can unlock the ignition and properly diagnose.

Did you get your fan clutch replaced? Did it solve your issues ? If so ,Please Rate my answer, if you have further questions I will answer them, as well until you are completely satisfied with my answers.