Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

2008 f450 running jerky with a wrench light on according to

Customer Question

2008 f450 running jerky with a green wrench light on according to my wife. I thought there was a yellow and a red wrench. She's towing a horse trailer
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: the warning lights in the dash
JA: What is the model of your '08 Ford?
Customer: 6.4 F450 dually ranch
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: She is 2 hours from home and trying to get her home. Not sure if she should drive it with the wrench light on
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just if you think she can limp home with that warning light.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

That is a warning indicator to the driver that there is a fault in the power train control system and the vehicle has gone into limp home operation or a problem with the transmission has been detected and the shifting may be restricted, you need to contact you local dealer and have the power train system looked at and diagnosed to see what system the problem is in and have it corrected, depending on the problem the check engine light may come on and the system will display pull over safely in the message center and the truck will shut down, hope this helps.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

That light comes on when the power train control module sees a sensor or component that is out of the set range that is programed into the module, the PCM is continuously monitoring the sensors on the engine, exhaust and the transmission and if it sees a sensor out of range for 1 drive cycle it will turn on the wrench light, if it sees it for 3 drive cycles it will turn on the check engine light.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

ASE Master Technician

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.