Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Won't start, No I just got a new battery about two months

Customer Question

Won't start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: No I just got a new battery about two months ago
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: I left the vehicle running and went into store came
Out and was off and dead
JA: What year is your Ford?
Customer: 1998 Ford Expedition
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 5.4 liter
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: So far I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, Iac motor
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've changed the fuel filter, fuel pump and Iac motor. Checked all fuses. Whenever I press flip the inertia switch up a light sais fuel reset goes on my dash and the truck runs. Runs rough but runs. As soon as I hit it back down turn right off. When it does run runs really rich it's in the garage and leaves these black residue on the ground. Truck only runs when inertia switch is turned up and the fuel reset light is lit on the dash.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Black residue is by the exhaust. No check engine code on dash. I have no idea what is going on
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Will your scan tool run a short term fuel trim test?

Unplug the inertia switch, jump a wire from green/yellow to pink/black. Does it run better? What is the voltage on this wire while running?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I swapped out the inertia switch with a new one same thing won't start. Sometimes will and then just die. I unplugged the inertia switch and it started up but was really rich and ran rough

Unplug the inertia switch, jump a wire from green/yellow to pink/black. What is the voltage on this wire when the key is turned on?