James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have a 2005 ford f150 4x2 lariat. The shift knob is

Customer Question

I have a 2005 ford f150 4x2 lariat. The shift knob is located on the center console. I can not shift in gear. I have changed the brake light switch, checked fuses, tried the interlock bypass switch. Nothing has worked. Whats next to check?
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

Hello, when you step on the brakes do they come on?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
they do light up.
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

Do your blinkers work and hazards?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
blinkers and hazards work.
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

Do you have multi meter or test light to test for power to the shift interlock itself?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I can check that.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
ok, I took off the actuall interlock bypass. What i discovered after I took it off was that I could get a screwdriver and manually get the shift to engage. So now I have it isolated to the button on the console shift knob. Is there a spring in there and how do I take it off?
Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

So the shift interlock is working but the lever isn't? Usually Ford doesn't sell single part for this assembly. They want you to replace the shifter assembly base part number 7210. Let me see if I can't get an exploded view of taking it apart though.

Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1RcIt3CEVQ

This a video on taking it apart. Ford doesn't want you to repair the floor they want you to replace the floor shifter. If you have other questions please let me know. If now please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.

Expert:  James replied 8 months ago.

If you have other questions please let me know. If not please remember to rate my answer so I get paid for assisting you.