Eric Gardner
Eric Gardner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE

My 2009 Ford F 150 Platinum seems to have computer glitches.

Customer Question

My 2009 Ford F 150 Platinum seems to have computer glitches. Sometimes when I use the steering wheel buttons to turn down the radio volume, it changes the channel or the wipers come on. The other day side steps came out just as I drove up to Wendy's window - maybe when I put the window down. One time the driver's side window would not roll up. I turned the motor off and then it worked. Please advise.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric Gardner replied 2 months ago.

This sounds like to me that clock spring in the steering wheel has started failing. Over time this will get worse.

I can send you instructions on how to replace this part, but I have to warn you that the air bag removal will be part of this procedure and can cause serious injury or death if it activates. I would suggest having the dealership perform the repair as they have the necessary tools.

But if you decide to do the repair on your own, I can provide you with the instruction on how to do so if you would kindly rate my service as 3 stars or higher at the top of your screen.