Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

04 Explorer Sport 4.0 I need to install trailer lights. Do I

Customer Question

04 Explorer Sport 4.0 I need to install trailer lights. Do I need special wiring to hook this up? I tied into harness, now nothing works right. I feel I need to remove this and start over.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer, my name is ***** ***** thank you for letting me trying to solve your problem. What do you mean nothing works when you hooked the wiring up and tried it? did it kill all lights or just tail lights? some trailer harnesses require a module depending on the type of tail light s you have eg; brake and signal together or brake and park together with signal separate. If improperly hooked up can blow a tail light fuse. Then you have to make sure the wiring matches the trailer wiring going to each proper item.If you need further assistance I'll be happy to help.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When turning on headlights after installing trailer connector, left turn signal light glows with out signals on. Wipers barely move on high position.

sounds like a back feed, did you see my answer as i stated it depends on your style of lights in the rear if you can get away with direct wiring or you need a modal so you don't get back feed, when you disconnect the trailer wiring does things work properly. now next question/ DO YOU HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH THE WIRING HOOKED UP TO A TRAILER OR NOT HOOKED UP TO A TRAILER? does YOUR WIRING HAVE A MOGUL OR JUST DIRECT TO THE HARNESS, ( SPLICING)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No Trailer, a direct harness. Where to find the module?

You have to go to a place that sells hitches or a store that sells hitch wiring , but remember the mogul has to be for your specific vehicle because they are not all the same. I'm positive that will correct your issue and all new wiring kits with the moguls come with installation instructions, hope this gives you direction to fix your issue , if you need further assistance i'll be happy to do so.

this link may help you out https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/119178KIT.html t shows you what I mentioned about the relay or mogul needed. pretty simple installation and well comes with instructions