rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

I have a 2005 F150 it skips a bit around 45 mph and has some

Customer Question

I have a 2005 F150 it skips a bit around 45 mph and has some knocking sounds when idling. We have had it in the mechanic and they are struggling to diagnose, might be cam phasers?? They have even suggested we might need to replace the engine. Any thoughts
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: noise has been going on for over 1 year and sounds like valve clacking
JA: What is the model of your '05 Ford?
Customer: F150 king ranch
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No - looking for mechanic who has good diagnostic skills and can do more than parts changes.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: My wife indicates that the lurching at 45 goes away when she turns off the overdrive. We also recently fixed some vacuum leaks that were causing some problems going into 4wd
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you
Before we get started though, Please understand that I don't know
your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that
I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does NOT replace a
repair shop.
My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for
my time. Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you
didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

At this point it's all guesswork. The only way you will know exactly what it is, is to do a tear down and an inspection. Anything is possible and it really doesn't matter what it is because it has to be torn down one way or the other. At least pull the front part of the motor down to expose the timing components.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Gotcha, This is a complicated problem. I am not planning to fix myself just want to make the right decision with my mechanic. The main issue we have with the car is that it jerks around 45 mph. It also has a clicking at idle. I am pretty sure based on reading that the clicking is from Cam Phasers and I am OK living with that - again based on what I read. What I am really trying to figure out is the jerking/skipping. We are getting responses that suggest that we might need to replace the engine, I am hoping their might be less expensive options
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I read that skipping is typically an ignition problem either coils or sparkplugs.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

So is an injector coil going bad and a flat spot on a fuel pump armature. This is where the testing is important for confirmation.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't know the answer, if you don't mind I will talk to my mechanic tomorrow and would like to get back to you.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 2 months ago.

Okay, My job was to direct you to the possibilities which I did.

Thanks again,