Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

I have a 2000 Explorer. It has a 2WD,, 4.0L SOHC engine. It

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Explorer. It has a 2WD,, 4.0L SOHC engine. It is equipped with Class III towing if that makes a difference. The Transmission (5R55E) every once in a while the O/D light comes on and flashes. When this happens I loose 5th Gear and if becomes a 4 spd Trans. What might be going on and how might I approach fixing it. I have been told that the Torque Converter is going bad and I need to replace the Transmission with a Rebuilt one. Do I really need a new Transmission ?
JA: Do you have the torque specs?
Customer: Torque Specs?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, these transmissions are out of my league, really.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: It only does it ever so often. It happened first two yrs ago. Stayed that way for a month and never did it again until the other day. When it happens if I shut if off for 20 minutes and come back to it, it works find. All 5 gears and no flashing transmission light.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Hello, have you ever had the codes checked to see what codes set?