Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

Please don't answer unless you are an expert on the Neutral

Customer Question

Please don't answer unless you are an expert on the Neutral Tow Kit installations on a 1999 Ford Explorer 4x4auto, XLT, 4dr., 4.0L . Need to tow it behind an RV.The Neutral Tow switch or Kit (ntk) depending on who you talk to isn't made anymore and I have searched everywhere and can't find it. So I need to make one since its only an LED light with two wires.
I need to know where to connect the black and red LED wires under the dash.I have a grey plug with one wire in it that is supposed to take the Black wire from the LED (I think) but don't know where the red wire should be connected.You'd think there would be another empty plug under the dash but I don't see one.I found an old article "The Neutral Tow " Option, by Dr. Horace Power. It referenced a 1997 Explorer, which might be the same procedure. But he only accepts questions by
fax(###) ###-####and only from Ford dealership employees.Another person on the RV forum who made his own said he connected the red wire to the orange wire in the back of the diagnostic plug.So I need to know where to run the LED wires.I need the wiring diagram showing NTK plugs and wiring routes.I need the Computer programming steps to engage Neutral towing feature if available.I need to know the proper procedure for engaging the tow feature.It's a long shot but I need to know of a place that might have old obsolete parts. I have tried Green Sales, MAC's, Millers, Henrys, Mc Donalds and others.I have seen instructions for 2001 and later but they refer to pressing the brake pedal and pushing in the 4x4 button for 5 seconds and I only have a 4x4 dial to turn.Dealers say they don't have any information in their computer systems on this year.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 2 months ago.

Hello, this link should help answer your questions, as it mentions in the link, the vehicle needs to be programmed by a dealer to enable the neutral tow feature, it needs to be turned on so it uts the transfer case in neutral. Thats how the factory setup was meant to work, it goes into detail for a home made kit.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I already saw this and it relates to 2003 not my 1999 which has only a single grey plug under the dash instead of the two wired plug in the 2001 and later, so this won't help. Plus he had a 4x4 button to push and I have a dial.
Please refer to another tech who might have direct experience with a 1999.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Would you like me to try and help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well either your and expert on neutral tow switch hook ups and operating procedures or not. If you don't already know the answers from previous experience it would take too much of your time to research it to be worth while.
Please refer to another tech. Thank You

Well I was going to help but it appears you do not want me to. Best of luck.