Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

My 2014 escapes temperature guage went into red zone. Shut

Customer Question

My 2014 escapes temperature guage went into red zone. Shut it off . Tried it again and a message power reduced to lower temperature came on. What is the issue? Can it be safely driven until I can have it checked by dealer?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

Did the engine appear to be overheating?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
not as far as I could tell
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

When you restarted it did the gauge return to normal and the reduce power message clear?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay thank you for this information. As long as the cooling system is full and the engine is not actually overheating then you should be okay to drive it but you will want to have it checked as soon as you can. The reduce power message comes on when the system sees a fault and when this happens the system will set an store a fault code. They are going to need to scan the system to retrieve the fault code and that will need to be addressed from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What are possible causes?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

I would suspect you may have a bad cylinder head temp sensor which is fairly common to fail but before replacing any part the scan would need to be done first to retrive the fault code and or codes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Would this cause the heater to not function correctly?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

No it would not, in most cases if the heater is not heating correctly that usually means the cooling system is low on coolant and there is trapped air in the system. Low coolant could cause the gauge to peg as well as effect the heater performance. You should check the coolant level and make sure its not low.