Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000

I am wondering what the average price is to replace a fuel

Customer Question

I am wondering what the average price is to replace a fuel pump in the tank of a 2000 Ford F250 V10 Superduty with Ford pump
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: Pump has been replaced with after market part less than 100 miles on it. Mechanic saying after market part is not working correctly
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Driveway mechanic put in the after market pump. Now the truck is at a real shop. Independent shop
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 2 months ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Around 300-400$ usually will get that job done. Depending on which pump you choose to put in it. Two hours labor is more than enough, with no more than 1 hour diagnostic charge. There are two ways, one is to take the bed off and then you can access the pump without dropping the tank, the other way is to drop the tank. Alot of techs will raise the bed up and put some blocks of wood or a jackstand between the bed and frame, especially if the don't have a lift or the tank is full or the truck is overly rusty or dirty. Either way no more than 2 hours to replace the pump is fair. The pump itself you can get for as little as 100$ for the assembly and less if you just replace the pump. Since your assembly is new, You can also replace just the pump if the pump is indeed faulty. It's rare a pump goes out after that short of time but anything is possible, I would have that shop check voltage to it, and make sure it is getting the same voltage as the battery, any corrosion or bad connection will cause a voltage drop, and that could possibly burn the pump up prematurely if the voltage was lower than it should be. Have them check the voltage at the inertia switch when cranking, it may need a fuel pump relay or a new wire ran from the inertia switch to the pump. As long as the voltage is good and you use a good quality pump, ( I would go Motorcraft, Delphi, Carter stay away from Chinese made) then that should take care of it. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.