James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

2006 Ranch with 5.4 3 valve engine. oil pressure gauge works

Customer Question

2006 King Ranch with 5.4 3 valve engine. oil pressure gauge works intermittently, but when it does has good OP. Has mechanic check pressure and was told pressure good gauge faulty. Replaced both cam phasers, chains adjusters. turck has run fine for 20000 mi since. BTW truck has about 155000 on it. Just yesterday noticed a tapping in the top end of engine, small hammer tapping noise, like valve train. Truck still running great, full of oil, recent change, running cool. Any Ideas?
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was the last time it was serviced?
Customer: 155000, last serviced at
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I will be contacting a mechanic I suspect.. Vehicle has 155000, and had last oil change 2000 ago. I just wanted to know what I might be looking at?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: for the past yr. the truck has and still runs great and cool. As I said oil pressure gauge works intermittently and when it does shows above half way. I realize it is only an idiot light per se.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

When the oil gauge quits working does the engine still run good?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing changes. That is why I have not really worried about the gauge not working. Truck runs great regardless. Oil looks good at changes, full sun at 4000 mi intervals
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

ok thank you for the info. If the oil pressure was actually low the engine will begin to run rough and knock while it is at hot idle. If the engine is still running good at hot idle you don't have an actual oil pressure concern. The problem most likely will be the oil pressure sending unit. That is the most common. The next thing would be the oil gauge motor has failed causing the concern. The remedy for this is a new instrument cluster from Ford.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My real concern is the tapping in the top end of the engine that started a couple of days ago. This is different. Truck still runs great however.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Valve traine noise is common on this engine. if the engine isn't running rough it is likely the lifters making noise. It is hard to know if its normal without actually hearing it though