Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

I just purchased a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback with 72,000

Customer Question

I just purchased a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback with 72,000 miles. The dealership did a 150 point inspection when they received it, so my guess is that nothing is wrong, but I want to be sure. There is a faint whistling/ringing sound coming from the front end of the car, mostly when I first start driving or if I am driving at a slower speed through a parking lot or something. It doesn't do it if my car is idling. Any ideas? Is this a normal sound?
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 72,000 4 Cylinder
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have warranty, so I would take it to the dealership. I haven't tried anything.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: NO
Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

does the noise change at all with engine load?

So if you accelerate harder is the noise worse?

does the noise change at all during cornering or braking?

can you tell me what size the engine is and what fuel type ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The noise doesn't change with the engine load or when I accelerate harder. It doesn't change with cornering or breaking. It is a 4 cylinder engine and I use regular gas.
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

in that case I'd say that this could be an engine idler pulley

I'd suggest to lift the hood on a cold engine to see if you can hear if any of the pullies that are driven by the belt are squeaking or ringing

if the drive belt itself looks shiny on teh flat side or cracked on the ribbed side then replace it

also worth doing a check that the engine oil, coolant and power steering fluid are all up to the mark

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
All the fluids should be fine, but I'll check. I'll check the belt and pullies just to be sure. It's been raining a lot - could that possibly cause it as well?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

if the belt has been getting wet then yes , it can squeak until it dries out

might be worth replacing it if you're unsure as they're not expensive

Expert:  Matt replied 2 months ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you