Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

2010 ford tarus, defroster on high,no radio controls,

Customer Question

2010 ford tarus, defroster on high,no radio controls, nothing in center console works, have interior torn apart looking for master control unit. Where is it,what does it look like?
JA: Is this an aftermarket stereo, or did it come with the car?
Customer: factory nothing has been changed, bought car after tree had fell on windshield, did get quite wet on center console,radio heat controls etc.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well after considerable searching on internet , was looking to replace "master control unit", cant locate it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: only that it was wet, repaired all body damage, very nice car,well maintained,only damage was slight roof damage /replaced wind shield.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

I'll look that up for you, but I need to know if this is the limited, SE, SEL or SHO?

What did you mean by "defroster on high"? What about it?

Have you checked the fuses yet for the items that don't work?

Also, can you tell me all of the items on the center console that don't work?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Also, does the radio power up?

Is this the base radio, premium, Sony or SYNC?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it is a Taurus limited, with sony sound system vin #1FAHP2WOAG116660 RADIO PWERS UP BUT IS ONLY CONTROLED BY STERRING WHEEL CONTROLS. When you start car up defrost is on 90 degrees and inoperable dash controls checked fuses. all good. radio controls and hvac controls in console do not work. steering wheel controls work
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Ok, let me double-check the fuses you checked, were they the fuse #14, #16, #19, #28,#38 and#39, in the smart junction box, left kick panel?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

What do you mean by "defrost is on 90 degrees"?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Is this automatic or manual a/c?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
temp control shows 90, hot air (on high fanspeed ), coming fron defrost on dash, cant turn off or adjust temp.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
automatic climate control
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will double check again, have checked all of them though, pain to get to
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Ok, at this point I believe you should have the trouble codes retrieved from all of the modules. Once you get the codes, give them to me.

Do you have a scan tool or acess to one?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Include fuse #15 in that, it feeds the hvac module, in the center of the dash, the same spot that audio control module is.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

I see that fuse #15 is fed from another fuse, fuse #1 and it appears fuse #2 as a backup, both in the battery junction box, located left side of engine compartment. They feed almost everything in the smart junction box, so if you were using a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light to check the fuses in the smart junction box, you would have known by now, if those fuse #1 and #2 in the bjb were ok or not.

Anyhow, here is the pow dist wiring diagram,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have m aximus 2.0 have to put things back together to scan again ,trying to retrieve codes. body /paint man ,not good with electronics at this time , I will get them though, what are your thoughts on "master control unit"?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

On second thought here are all of the diagrams I was looking at, the power distribution, radio and a/c.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Matco? That looks like a good scan tool.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

What do you mean by "master control unit"?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
very good tool in the hands of a pro, still learning.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I was told "master control unit was the culprit . suppose to be located under dash on drivers side? so many control units don't know one from other. now have car torn apart , on what seems to be a wild goose chase, looking for this control unit
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Who told you this? Ask them again exactly what they mean cause I don't know what it means. I suspect a module.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Here is a list of control units or modules,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you Mike, I am putting interior back together. I will check every thing again rescan and give you codes, got two working on it so wont be too long. tried to retrieve codes from scan tool ,didn't have saved I guess.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

So, are we done? If so, kindly rate me well so 1/2 of your deposit gets released to me.