Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

The key will not turn. THe car is in park, the steering

Customer Question

HI! The key will not turn. THe car is in park, the steering wheel is locked. Neither the normal or spare key will turn the ignition lock in either direction. The car does start with the remote starter
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: Yes. I have been trying for about 20 minutes.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2001 ford mustang
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, the car is stuck in the garage. I am hoping to fix it, I am pretty handy in general, hoping for a tip. WE have tried rocking the car back and forth gently while trying to turn the key, we have tried moving the steering wheel to the limits of the lock while trying to turn the key. WE have tried tapping the key with a soft mallet ( not very hard) We have tried stepping on the brake, while moving the steering wheel to the lock limits and turning the key. I just found out that the on the first try to start the car, the steering column was not locked. When my wife could not turn the ignition, she turned the wheel and it locked,
JA: Soon. I'm trying to find the right Ford Mechanic for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: ok!
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's all i have for now..
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

i see this has sat for awhile. Most are stunned as to what it could be. Did you resolve this or so you still need assistance?

I apologize for the delay, but I just signed on and saw that this is here waiting and I wanted to help you first.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback. If you don’t see this screen, please reply with the rating you would like to give.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello, Still totally unresolved. I am an Electrical Engineer, have been for 25 year. I have been around the block as far as equipment. I didn't take the steering col. apart yet, was really looking for a trick, or an easy way to disengage the parking lock or the solenoid that must be keeping the key from turning. It's possible that the lock is just broken. Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated, and you can be sure I will give you nice feedback :)
Expert:  Jeremy replied 3 months ago.

If you can;t turn the key, there is nothing on the switch that keeps it from turning except the tumblers themselves. If the tumbler is broken inside, that will stop the key from turning. Sometimes you can rock the key end to end to loosen up the tumblers or use some graphite spray on the key if there is one sticking, otherwise the tumbler needs to be changed out. They are a pain to change when the tumble is broken because you need to turn the key to get it out. Since you can't, it will need to be drilled out.

I was hoping you were able to play with it so I can tell you to replace the tumbler, but it doesn't seem like that was possible. Try lubing the tumble and see if it is just a sticking tumbler, otherwise it appears the tumbler will need to be drilled in order to be replaced.