Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I got a 2002 Ford E-250 with a 4.2l. The check engine light

Customer Question

I got a 2002 Ford E-250 with a 4.2l. The check engine light came on and it had no power. The Cats were clogged and were replaced. I was getting a P1401 and a P0414.The DPFE Sensor was melted so I replaced it as well as the EGR Valve. I also replaced the spark plugs since it was due anyways. The plugs had a lot of carbon buildup. I continued to get the P0414 code so I replaced the upper o2 sensors.Now the check engine light is off. There are no codes. The engine is still running rough at idle and hesitates under acceleration. The exhaust smell like it is burning rich. Any suggestions?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: fluctuates
JA: What is the model of your '02 Ford?
Customer: Econoline 250
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The cats were just replaced. Replaced the DPFE sensor. It was melted. Also replaced the EGR valve and the spark plugs. The O2 sensors were also replaced
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of. With all the parts that were replaced, there are no codes in the computer. The van only has 102,000 miles on it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Will you scan tool show fuel trims and MAF sensor readings? If so I need the short term bank 1 and 2 reading at hot idle.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I would have to check, but I do not believe it does.

Thanks, ***** ***** once you have checked.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, it does not show fuel trims or MAF Sensor readings

Lets start with checking the fuel pressure, cleaning the MAF sensor, and using flammable brake cleaner or carb cleaner to see if there are any vacuum leaks. Can you do those things?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris