James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

Need to know proper procedure for using Neutral Tow feature

Customer Question

Need to know proper procedure for using Neutral Tow feature on my 1999 Ford Explorer, 4x4auto, XLT, 4 dr., 4.0L eng. so I can tow behind an RV with all four on the ground. Owners manual says I can and to see dealer for neutral tow.All I can find online is for 2001 and later and it says to push the 4x4auto button but I have a dial switch. Maybe it just means to make sure its in 4x4 auto and not 4L or 4H but it doesn't say that. I need to see the written instructions for my vehicle before I will pay to have the ECM reprogrammed for the neutral tow option. I have been to 3 different dealers and they pretty much don't know what I am talking about. They tell me I have to buy a neutral tow switch and the instructions are in there but I know they're not. the "switch is actually just an LED light that plugs into a female plug under the dash. It blinks when engaging or disengaging.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Thats not related to what I asked???????
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: please re read what I asked. I am asking for the procedure to engage and disengage the neutral tow feature. Such as turn engine off, place ignition in accessory, press brake put tranny in neutral etc etc.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

This I a kit from Ford that is no longer made. It was called a neutral tow kit. The kit was discontinued about 5 years ago. Here is the part number if you are able to find one still. Part Number 3L2Z-7H332-AA

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't need the kit. I just need to know the proper procedure to put it into and out of gear? 2001 and later says turn ignition to accessory, press brake pedal and 4x4 auto button for 5 seconds ect. and as I said already I don't have a 4x4 button to push. I have a dial switch so obviously I can't push it or hold it in for 5 seconds.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Without the kit you can't do it. The procedure is for electronic shift on the fly. The kit is for the Dial***** Sorry that isn't that answer you want to hear

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I didn't answer correctly. When I said I didn't need the neutral tow switch I meant I already have all that taken care of. I know I need it and reprogramming of the ECM and I will do all of that. But it won't do me any good if there's no proper instructions on how to engage and disengage the system on my particular vehicle after its installed. I need proper steps to follow for 1999 ford and all I can find is the instructions for 2001 and later thats my problem.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Did you install the kit yourself?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank You, ***** ***** don't think you will be able to answer my question.Its going to have to go to a tech who has a lot of experience in doing neutral tow switch installations and ECM programing work.thanks again.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.
The procedure to perform is the same. The only difference instead of pushing a button for 5 seconds you turn the knob to*****for 5 seconds and cycle it back into 2WD
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't have 2wd option its always in 4 auto so this doesn't apply at all.
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Does your vehicle have a*****high option?