James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified

2009 ford edge SE....a/c blower motor runs

Customer Question

2009 ford edge SE....a/c blower motor runs intermittently...sometimes not at all
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: automatic, 112k miles
JA: Are you fixing your Edge yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I'm fixing it myself. I have taken the fan out blown off the dust and checked/cleaned the connectors. it will blow/turn on when I've messed with it but then loses momentum and slows down to almost a stop
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: a few months ago the drain tube was clogged and the water got backed up into the fan casing before I got it drained. I know that for a few days the fan was hitting the built up water when I'd turn.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Hello, you can have one of two issues going on. You can have two similar issues that are connected as well. One is the blower motor speed control. The blower speed controller is what controls the speed of the blower motor. The blower motor can be failing as well and causing the issue. It can be a combination of the two two together as well.