Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

My 1999 f-250 7.3 starts hard and stalls when I put it in

Customer Question

My 1999 f-250 7.3 starts hard and stalls when I put it in reverse. Checked trans fluid and it is fine.
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: Checked just a couple of days ago. Changed around 75,000 miles ago.
JA: What is the model of your '99 Ford?
Customer: F-250 7.3deisel 4x4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just checked all the fluids and battery connections.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Sounds like it barely wants to turn over, then it speeds up and fires up.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Starts hard, meaning you have to crank it a long time?

What is the idle speed in park and then in drive?

When shifted to reverse does it jerk rearward?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It cranks hard, barely turning over, then starts spinning faster and fires up. Idle speed is normal around 600, and no clunking or jerking when shifted.

If you raise the idle to 1000 with your foot then shift into reverse, does it still stall?

Do you own a volt meter?

Is there exhaust smoke on start up?

Is the slow crank issue when the engine is cold or hot or both?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Slow crank issue both hot and cold. I have a volt meter but not with me. And keeping the rpm' up does prevent the stalling.

Thanks, ***** ***** stalling issue you will need to run a transmission pressure test to see if the pressure is low in reverse which means that clutch is leaking causing the converter clutch to engage and stall the engine. I have that test if you have the tools. For the slow crank, with the vehicle off, turn the headlights on for 5 minutes, then disconnect both negative battery cables. 15 minutes later check the battery voltage. You want to see 12.6 volts, and no lower than 12.3 volts. If its low on either then have that battery load tested at a parts store to see if the battery is bad and has low amps. If the voltage was low but the battery passes the test then we need to do a battery drain test from something on the vehicle staying energized and draining the batteries.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris