Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

The check charging systems light came on. The check chargin

Customer Question

The check charging systems light came on.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: The check chargin systems light.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2005 ford 500 limited
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Is just been reading up on the problem for my husband, bit felt I'm a little over my head.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

When the check charging system light comes on, this is the sign of a fault in the Charging System. This can either be a bad battery or a failing Alternator. There is a quick easy test for this, with the use of a voltage meter. With the engine running, take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. If the voltage is not between 13.2-14.4v, or fluctuates in and out of this area, the Alternator will need to be replaced. If the Alternator passes this test, turn the engine off and wait 15min. Take another reading at the battery terminals, this time with the engine off. If the voltage is anything less than 12v, the battery may have a "bad cell" and is not accepting the alternator's charge. If you do not have access to a voltage meter, most local "big chain" parts stores, like AutoZone, will run these tests for Free right in their parking lot. Make sure to also check the battery cables to make sure they are tight, making a good connection and are free of any corrosion at this time. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question. Please do the right thing, and rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

If there were any other questions you had on this, or there was something specific you were hoping to have addressed that I may have missed in my answer, please feel free to reply and ask!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open and you did not leave a rating , so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Did you have any other questions? Was there something I missed that you wanted addressed? If you have no further questions and simply forgot to leave a rating, please take a second and use the stars at the top of the page to rate our Q&A session. Thank-you!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

..