Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

I have a 2003 ford f150 4.6 engine replacethe computer which

Customer Question

I have a 2003 ford f150 4.6 engine replacethe computer which had been flashed what is the procedure to make it recognize the old keys?
JA: Is the key stripped or worn?
Customer: no
JA: What is the model of your '03 Ford?
Customer: crew cab Lariat
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes leaving the key on until the security light goes off
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Do you have a Ford IDS?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 months ago.

Ok thanks, ***** ***** be the bearer of bad news but a Ford IDS scanner is needed. The keys are programmed to the instrument cluster, so you didn't lose the key programming. Whenever a PCM or instrument cluster is replaced they need to be identified to each other. This is accomplished using a Ford IDS scan tool. Its called parameter reset. Each time the key is cycled the cluster and PCM "handshake".If they have not previously been identified to each other through a parameter reset, The PCM will not allow the engine to start.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 months ago.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 7 months ago.

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks,

Kenny Z