rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

I am having some issues with my 2011 Ford Escape (~130,000

Customer Question

I am having some issues with my 2011 Ford Escape (~130,000 miles). Over the past ~6 weeks I have noticed some idling issues (running rough, surging of RPM's between(###) ###-####RPM, and engineering stall during low RPM's or coasting. This became more pronounced over time. Another issue presented towards the end of the 6 weeks was I found once or twice that I couldn't get power delivered while accelerating. I would be up at 3,500 RPM but was failing to get any power. This typically fixed itself after several seconds. The shops saw a low compression code (150 and 135) in two of the cylinders, determined it was a valve in the head, and replaced the head. That cleared the check engine light, and seems to have eliminated the second problem (lack of power). However the first problem still exists and has continued getting worse. The issue is significantly more pronounced when the air conditioning is on. I have spoke to several dealerships and can't really seem to get a idea of what this issue is.
Category: Ford
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you
today.
Before we get started though, Please understand that I don't know
your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that
I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does NOT replace a
repair shop.
My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for
my time. Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you
didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

You need to clean the throttle body and idle motor if present with carb cleaner. Pull off the IAC and clean it thoroughly. If that's not it, the throttle body may be bad. Carbon just kills these things.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The throttle body has been replaced already. Didn't make any difference at all.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
From what I've spoken to the answers I've gotten are cam timing being off or the air conditioning not being correct. The cam timing seems unlikely and the problem exists regardless of if the air conditioning is running.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

The intake needs to be smoked to find where this vacuum leak is at.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me and keep this link in case you need me again later on.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm following up to see if you have any more questions.

Thanks, Ron