AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My F-350 just died while driving. I was atn40 mph and it was

Customer Question

my F-350 just died while driving. I was atn40 mph and it was like I just shut off the engine. I have changed the fuel filter recently.
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: external. mounted in side the frame just behind driver. What can I check to see if it fuel related or electrical?
JA: What year is your F-150?
Customer: 1996 F-350 5.8L
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes . fuel filter
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: has always started and ran fine. this Is new. just die abruptly. would not start again even though I had a strong battery. just continued to turn over .. I waited 20 min tried again then waited till next day. still not starting.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Does the engine crank over and not start? Does it have spark while cranking? Does the check engine light come on with the key on for a bulb check? Does it go off while cranking?

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ill get vin and check the engine light while starting. yes the engine cranks and cranks.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Sounds good I will be waiting to hear from you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
vin 2FDKF37H7TCA17469
key in on position check engine light on. while cranking the check engine light stays on
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Ok, this is most likley caused by a bad engine pickup speed sensor. The check engine light should go off while cranking when the PCM recognizes engine rpm. You can verify this by checking for spark while cranking.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
pull a plug to check for spark??
Is this a typical problem?
where is the engine pickup speed sensor located? What does it look like? how do I get more info on it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
will this be something I can get at my local Auto zone?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

YES, you would need to pull a spark plug wire or spark plug and crank it over to check for spark.

YES, this is a common problem.

The engine speed sensor is located inside the distributor. Your best bet would be to replace the entire distributor.

YES, any auto parts store can get a distributor assembly for you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
pulled plug. no spark. will get distributor tomorrow. are there any adjustments that I need to be aware of? Or is it just a direct replacement?
i would like to report back after I get it installed after work tomorrow.
How do I get back in touch with you?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Just reply back to me on this page and I will get it and respond back. I do work all day so I wont be back online until tomorrow night. I will send the removal and replacement procedure for the distributor.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Removal

Align timing pointer with top dead center (TDC) on crankshaft vibration damper.

Mark position of No. 1 cylinder wire tower on distributor base. Mark will provide an alignment reference when reinstalling the distributor.

Lift distributor cap with attached wire set straight off distributor to prevent damage to rotor blade and spring. On V-8 engines, remove attaching screws and base adapter.

Position distributor cap and attached wire set aside so as not to interfere with removal.

Check if distributor rotor blade is pointing toward the marked position on the distributor base adapter. If distributor rotor blade is pointing one-half a revolution off, rotate crankshaft one full revolution and realign timing pointer with TDC on crankshaft vibration damper.

Disconnect wiring harness at distributor.

Remove distributor rotor by pulling upward on distributor rotor from distributor shaft.

Remove distributor hold-down bolt and clamp.

Remove distributor from cylinder block by pulling upward with a slight side-to-side twist.

Cover distributor opening in cylinder block with a clean shop towel to prevent the entry of foreign material into engine.

Installation

NOTE: When installing distributor, No. 1 piston must be at TDC of the compression stroke.

Visually inspect distributor. O-ring should fit tightly onto housing free of cuts. Drive gear should be free of nicks, cracks or excessive wear. The distributor shaft should rotate freely, without any binding.

Lubricate distributor gear teeth with a coating of Engine Assembly Lubricant D9AZ-19579-D or equivalent fresh motor oil meeting Ford specification ESR-M99C80-A.

Align locating boss and fully seat distributor rotor on distributor shaft.

Rotate distributor shaft so that distributor rotor blade is pointing toward marked position on distributor base adapter.

Install distributor into cylinder block with a slight side-to-side twist.

NOTE: If the vane and vane switch assembly can not be kept on the leading edge after installation, remove the distributor from cylinder block by pulling upward enough for the distributor gear to disengage from the camshaft gear. Rotate distributor rotor enough so the gear will align on the next tooth of the camshaft gear.

Rotate distributor in engine to align leading edge of armature vane to vane switch assembly. Verify that distributor rotor blade is pointing toward marked position on distributor base adapter.

Install distributor hold-down clamp and bolt.

On all V-8 engines, position adapter base and install attaching screws.

Position distributor cap with attached wire set straight on distributor to prevent damage to rotor blade and spring.

On a 4.9L engine, tighten distributor cap hold-down screws to 2.0-2.6 Nm. On all V-8 engines, secure distributor cap using spring clips.

Connect distributor to wiring harness.

Set initial timing according to procedures in Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual OBDI or OBDII.

Without moving timing adjustment, tighten distributor hold-down bolt and clamp to 23-34 Nm.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
new distributor still no spark
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Hello! Ok, lets go back to to where we started. Does the check engine light come on with the key on? Does it go off while cranking the engine over?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The light stays on while I'm cranking. Just to be sure I went and purchased and installed the ignition coil I just got it on still no spark
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

If possible, use a lab scope to check the Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) signal from the distributor to Powertrain Control Module pin 56 (Gray/Orange wire). This should be a square-wave signal that toggles from below 0.5 volts to above 9 volts while cranking. If no lab scope is available, use a DC voltmeter and turn the engine slowly by bumping the starter or turning the engine by hand. Voltage should toggle from less than 0.1 volts to more than 11 volts as the distributor turns. If the PIP signal is not as described, verify battery voltage into the distributor on the Red/Light Green wire, verify a good distributor ground by checking for less than 0.5 volts on the distributor housing while cranking, and if all OK, replace the distributor or the hall effect pickup inside the distributor. If the PIP signal is OK while the problem is occurring, unplug the SPOUT (timing) connector and see if it then has spark. If it has spark with the SPOUT connector disconnected, check for a short to ground in the SPOUT circuit. If no short is found, suspect a problem with the PCM.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 months ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!