Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My headlights wont turn off unless I pull the low beam

Customer Question

My headlights wont turn off unless I pull the low beam fuses. Then the alarm dings until I pull the switch fuse
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Yes fuses are good and lights are good
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3 diesel
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: This has been going on for awhile and only created a problem when I had the light switch to auto. If I turned the switch off the alarm would keep beeping until I took the fuse out. Once I took it out and replaced it the lights would go off and no beeping. As long as I turned the switch to the right it would work fine. I loaned my truck to my daughter and they removed the fuses but now unless I remove all 3 fuses lights stay on and alarm beeps
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Thought it might be the auto light sensor so I disconnected it and still same problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

If you remove and unplug the headlights switch, do the headlights go out and the warning chime does not sound?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry had to step out and just got back so will try that tomorrow. If it works any suggestions?
Larry

I can not make a suggestion yet till I know those results. Responding tomorrow will be fine.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I removed and unplugged headlight switch, chime stopped but headlights and running lights stayed on.
Larry
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 3 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** unplugged, head and parking lights remaining on. Does removing fuse 7 kill the headlights and does fuse 17 kill the parking lights?

At the unplugged headlight switch connector, there should be no power on the dark blue/white wire. If the answer to all 3 questions is correct then its a bad vehicle security module.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok I checked fuse s and pulling 7 does cut power to headlights and 17 cuts power to parking lights. When I checked the blue/white wire it did not have power with fuses installed so as stated you believe the security module needs to be replaced?

Thats correct, time for a new VSM

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Ok now that you have determined the problem where is it located and any recommendation on where to purchase? Also I am not a mechanic but have worked on my own cars for years and have construction equipment mechanics I work with. Safe to say either myself or construction equipment mechanic can replace this?
Thanks
Larry

The VSM is behind and below the dash HVAC control.

Its best to purchase the module from a dealer.

If you have a Ford IDS tool to program the replacement VSM you can replace this yourself.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello wanted to let you know your diagnoses was incorrect it was not the VSM it was a bad connection on the auto light sensor. So before I leave feedback wanted to give you opportunity to refund my money if not I will leave feedback accordingly, please let me know.
Larry

Sorry the Ford diag steps I responded from using your test results put you down the wrong path. Not rating or rating bad will not result in a refund. You can use the contact us link at the bottom of your screen to do that.