Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

2009 F350 6.4L cruise control has goes out at about 25 miles

Customer Question

2009 F350 6.4L cruise control has goes out at about 25 miles of driving. When I turn off and set for 15-30 min. it will work for another short time. The truck did not have a manual with it so I have been rotating relay switches hoping to hit on the bad one. No luck so far, starting on the mini relays now.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 139,000
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: starts and runs great, this is the only problem I have had in two years
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all,
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Are you saying if you set the cruise to 30 mph for example and come to a hill and the speed drops to 25 mph or less the cruise shuts off?

If that is the case then that is normal, cruise is not meant to work at low speeds and is cutting off.

Now if your saying it works for 25 miles then it cuts off and will not come back on that is something different. If this is the case do you have to turn the engine off or press off then on then set again? This is not a fuse or relay issue, more likely related to a PCM or clock spring issue.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Cruise control works fine, holds speed consistent. After 25 minutes into use it goes off, will not come back n until truck s stopped an engine turned off for a short time.

This is going to be a tough DIY diagnostic to do especially since its intermittent. Can you do these steps.