AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner

I have a 2006 fusion and the air conditioning is not

Customer Question

I have a 2006 fusion and the air conditioning is not working . A mechanic said it could either be the orifice tube or the pressure switch which is supposed to be located behind the dash board . It seems it would take about 6 hours of labor to get to . Is that true ? I was recently involved in a collision on the left side , could that cause those parts to fail ?
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: just recently , I let the car sit for awhile , the collision was in October and I just got it to the body shop
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no , I was hoping the insurance company would pay for it because I think it might be related to the collision . The car needed a left fender , left headlamp, and a radiator support , it pushed me into a curb so I also needed a Right front wheel bearing
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Did the mechanic check to see if the system had enough refrigerant?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
compressor works , coil is good , system is charged , he jumped the relay and everything works fine , mechanic said its either the orifice tube or the pressure switch under the dash . he said its like 6-7 hours labor to get at those parts , could that be from the collision ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what causes those parts to fail ?

I am not sure why he thinks it's the orifice tube. Your car does not have one. Your car has a thermostatic expansion valve and that is about a half hour to replace. If you have a good charge then I doubt the accident is the cause of this problem unfortunately. I am not aware of a pressure switch under the dash. The pressure switch is in the engine compartment.

the most intense part of your AC system to replace would likely be the evaporator core which is located in your dash. But, that is a 5.6 hour job. I have no idea what he is saying will be a 7 hour job to replace.