john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

2013 Ford Fusion 40,000 miles 2.5l. Driving it when a heavy

Customer Question

2013 Ford Fusion 40,000 miles 2.5l.
Driving it when a heavy rain storm hit, very heavy. I lost power steering and the hill assist light and traction control light both came on. I got home disconnected battery and the power steering seems to be working, but the light for hill assist and traction control are still illuminated. Also the blinkers don't seem to work. I've checked the normal fuses and all seem to be ok. I don't know how to check those black fuses or relays.... Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 5 months ago.

have you scanned for codes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No I haven't

do you have access to a scan tool? did you go thru deep water or a large puddle?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have access to a scan tool, and I probably did go through a huge puddle.

it may just have to dry out...can you see what we have for codes?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Yea I'll scan it tmrw morning.

ok

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I scanned it for codes and didn't get any codes, also it's been drying for a few days.

what are you using for a scan tool?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have one that does abs, but it should read other codes. It's not very good

thats likley the issue...the cheap ones only do basic engine codes...can you borrow or buy a better one?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I bough a better one, should be here Sunday

let me know

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There isn't like an electronic abs sensor on the hub that would cause those faults? Is there
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok so I scanned it for codes with a new reader. It's says no power train or dtc's
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
But I also did an ABS Scan and it says it cannot connect. Also it appears that the blinker works but wont stay on. Any other Ideas?

what bran and model of code reader/ scan tool are you using?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's an innova 3100i

That scan tool does not do body control functions so you may have to go to a dealership to have them scan for the body control codes, this will usually only cost an hours worth of labor . Lots of times that is wel worth it.

I have done some research and there is a recall on the steering gear which may have been affected by the rain or that could have just been a coincidence. This is also likely a contributing factor to the other failures. I will send you all the pertinent information on the recall and i highly recommend that you bring it in to your local ford dealership to have them diagnose and most likely your replace steering gear

REPORT RECEIPT DATE: April 28, 2015

NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 15V250000

COMPONENT(S): steering

POTENTIAL NUMBER OF UNITS AFFECTED: 487,301

ALL PRODUCTS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS RECALL:

VEHICLE MAKE MODEL MODEL YEAR(S)

Ford Edge 2015

Ford Fusion 2013-2015

Lincoln MKZ 2013-2015

DETAILS:

4 Associated Documents

MANUFACTURER: Ford Motor Company

SUMMARY:
Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2013-2015 Ford Fusion and Lincoln MKZ vehicles manufactured February 3, 2012, to March 20, 2015, and 2015 Ford Edge vehicles manufactured February 26, 2015, to February 28, 2015, and originally sold, or currently registered in, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia. In the affected vehicles, snow or water containing road salt or other contaminants may corrode the electric power steering gear motor attachment bolts.

CONSEQUENCE:
If the bolts corrode, the steering gear motor may detach from the gear housing resulting in a loss of power steering assist. Loss of power steering assist would require a higher steering effort, especially at lower speeds, which may increase the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
Ford will notify owners, and dealers will apply sealer and replace the steering gear motor bolts as required. If one or more of the steering gear motor attachment bolts are broken or missing, a new steering gear will be installed in the vehicle. These repairs will be performed free of charge. The recall is expected to begin June 22, 2015. Owners may contact Ford customer service at 1-***-***-****. Ford's number for this recall is 15S14.

NOTES:
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****), or go to www.safercar.gov.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I had that recall done before, it had actually failed. Is there an affordable code reader that would read body codes?