James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

I have an 04 f150 5.4 I am having a issue when hot idle the

Customer Question

I have an 04 f150 5.4 I am having a issue when hot idle the truck stumbles and knock on passenger side or engine or bank 1 if I rev the engine is goes away I do have a p0012 code for it so I have also replace timing chains due to the guides being broke the tensioners and phasers aftermarket ;( not the best and the oil pick up tube due to the same plastic pieces being broke from the timing guides
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The oil pickup was clogged and I was losing oil pressure I resolved the oil pressure issues and now once hot again same thing except I can hear the knock
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.
Hello, you need to test oil pressure when the engine is hot and running rough. You need at least 25psi on hot idle for the engine to run smoothly.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Like I said above I resolved oil pressure issue at least in the base of the engine ford spec is 18psi I'm right at 20psi
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.
That isn't resolved. That is the problem with this engine. With Ford spec the engine will knock. 20psi at the filter means you might have 10psi to the cylinder heads. Oil pressure is what keeps the engine running smooth with variable can timing.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay I understand I haven't torn it back apart yet I won't till Saturday but could it be the timing chain tensioner on that side or the block bc the knock is only on the passenger side
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.
I don't think it will but you can try. Ford issued a message a couple years ago that timing tensioners can cause low enough pressure to cause a rough run.Main bearing clearances will cause low enough pressure.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay I also am getting a code p0012 as soon as it happens
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

That a common code that will set for this concern as well.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will get back to you when I pull the motor apart
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

sounds good. please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you. We can still speak even after the rating has been left.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What all will cause low oil pressure
Expert:  James replied 9 months ago.

Low enough for the engine to run rough. blocked oil passages, worn main bearings which is the cause 98% of the time. When this concern happens to repair you will be in almost the cost of getting a new engine installed?