Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer that has issues with traction

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer that has issues with traction control, so I need a traction control expert. I don't see Ford mechanics listed, so I chose Mercury. Maybe I should find a Ford expert?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Your in the right category. Do you know what codes are stored?

What issues with traction control are you having?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
2007 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 cyl
vin 1FMEU74E37UB45220
Jim Deehr (###) ###-#### ***@******.***-----------------------------------------------------
Codes
-----------------------------------------------------
none-----------------------------------------------------
PIDs from Snapon document
I need the min, max, normal (no movement), and failure (value when sensor is broken) values that these PIDs can have. If you can clarify the meaning of the PID from experience or documentation, that would help. I have a brief description of each from the Snapon document. Some of these may not apply to this model of car because the Snapon document was a general list.ACCLMTR
G_INPUT
G_SENSOR
L_ACCEL_EPB
LATACCL
LATACINPT
LF_PRES
LONG_ACCL
MODSTATE
ROLLRAT
SENVBAT
STEER_ANGL
ST_WH_ANG
SWA_POS
YAW_INPUT
YAW_RATE
YAWRATE
YAWRTSEN-----------------------------------------------------
Symptoms
Started around middle of May. Progressively worse.Car hesitates intermittently when accelerating, cruising, not when foot off the accelerator. Intermittent whooshing/squirting sounds coming around driver’s feet, infrequent engine misfires at higher speed, some breaking, rpms up and down. Braking feeling happens at same time as whooshing sound. Traction control indicator flashes on dash much of the time and might stay on when symptoms get real bad.I can hold the traction control button for 5 seconds to turn off the system including braking, for under 25 mph. Symptoms still occur above 25.-----------------------------------------------------
Slow acceleration symptom - smoking gun?
Stop, then accelerate slowly. Whooshing/braking occurs once with each revolution of a wheel, and matches speed of wheel when accelerating up to maybe 20 mph. Traction control indicator usually flashes. Sound is at driver front wheel.-----------------------------------------------------
With a mechanic July 26 Tuesday
Looked at sensor outputs while driving.Lateral accelerometer
swerve right: goes to about -2
swerve left: goes to about +2
Looks correct.Yaw
swerve right: stays at 0
swerve left: stays at 0Not much expected when just swerving.Longitudinal accelerometer
Stop. Value at 0. Accelerate quickly: Value goes to about 63
Decelerate quickly and stop: stays at about 63.Stop. Value at 0. Accelerate slowly. Value goes to small number like less than 1.
Decelerate slowly and stop. Value goes to 0; doesn’t go below zero.Doesn’t look symmetrical for acceleration and deceleration. Staying at 63 when cruising and when stopped can’t be right.Roll
Always at 0. Expected because it may take severe maneuver to make it move.With a mechanic July 27 Wednesday
Yaw
Tight circle left, moderate speed: goes to about*****right, moderate speed: stays at 0Should give some value in both directions?.

While monitoring on the screen the VSS and all wheel speed sensors during accel, braking, and turning. Are all sensors reading the same within 3mph?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the wheel speeds and the vehicle speed are closer than 3 mph from each other.But it seems to me that a wheel could have a spike in speed that you wouldn't be able to detect looking at a digital number on the scanner. A graph would show it though. Maybe that's happening on the driver front wheel once per revolution where I hear the braking sound.

Your meter should have the option to watch the readouts on different graphs instead of just a number.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll check on that. Can you get the PID values I requested in the second message?

Ford only has a list for PID values for things associated with the engine.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They must know the values, but they don't publish them for use except for dealers?

I am a dealer tech with a Ford tech login. There are specs for these pids, that are just not in a list. They are scattered through about 300 pages of trouble code diagnostic steps. I can not read over all those pages for the possible 42 ABS related codes to find the specs for each of those PIDS. That would take me half of reading. If there are no codes stored that means the readings your getting for these PIDS have to be within the limits for the ABS system.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm sorry, but I the thing I needed the most was some knowledge about the sensor values that we're seeing because there could be more than one problem. Lateral and steering values make sense. Yaw and longitudinal do not, and possibly a wheel if it's graphed.

I do not see your method of diag and mine is going to make any progress. I will opt out and get you back on the waiting list for another to help.