HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a problem with a Ford Vehicle.

Customer Question

I have a problem with a Ford Vehicle.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Anybody there? How much can I write here?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, what type of problem do you have and what kind of ford, year, model, engine, write as much as you want

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a 1994 Ford Bronco, 302 V8 engine, 4WD, Tow Package, 254,000 miles plus, origional owner, rebuilt transmission installed a few years ago by Nationwide Transmission. A new fuel pump was also installed a few years ago.The problem started when I was driving homw from work one day and suddenly I started losing power going up a hill. The Check Engine Light came on and the engine cut out.I was able to start the vehicle but I had to rev the engine real high to gt it to move. After a minute it would gain acceptable speed. I finally ended up driving it in 1st and 2nd.II drove to Nationwide Tranmission for them to look at it, but, they could not read the OBD1 Computer Diagnostics. They also looked under the hood and under the vehicle.Next I drove to O'Rielly's Auto Parts Store and they could not read the OBD1 Computer Diagnostics.On the way home, the vehicle would pop back into a normal operating conditionwith no "Check Engine" Light for a few seconds and then back to the bad driving mode. Since then, it has never been the same.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There are currently multiple Problems that affect the performance of the vehicle at this time. All of these are things that happened after it went bad while driving,+ When the key is turned to the "ON" position the fuel pump continues to run. Normally it would always shut off after about a second or two.+ It idlles at a very low RPM (less than 500 RPM) and wants to shut down.+ When I put it into First or Reverse, it is very rough engagement.+ It does not feel like the transmission is working very well and still takes allot of power to move the vehicle.+ When I have it in Park and rev it up, I get black smoke.+ I have no pressure in the gas tank when I open it on a hot day. Typically you would hear the sound of air coming out.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Work done on the vehicle to date includes:+ Replace Transmission MLPS Selector Switch.+ Replaced Spark Plugs.+ Checked all Spark Plug wires for power transmission.+ Replaced distributor cap and rotor.+ Replaced PVC Value.+ Checked all fuses and relays.+ Checked the connection thru the firewall.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Since I have owned it, I Have:+ Used K & N Air Filters.+ Changed oil every 5,000 miles.+ Used Gas and Oil Additivies for best performance.+ Used Mid Grade gas.So, What is the problem???
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Ok, sounds like you have a couple different issues going on here or possibly all related. The fuel pump running issue could be related to a sticking fuel pump relay or issue with the PCM.Since its OBDI Ill post how to do the first thing which is to pull codes by counting the check engine light flashes when jumping the self test connector under the hood. Could be a weak fuel pump as far as the lack of power and trans shifting. Older truck can be lots of things. Check the codes first:

KEY ON ENGINE OFF WIGGLE TEST

1. Ensure the ignition switch has been "OFF" for at least 10 seconds.
  2. Turn the ignition key "ON".

Data Link Connector (DLC)

Analog Voltmeter Connection

Key On Engine OFF (KOEO) Diagnostic Trouble Code Format

1. Activate, deactivate, and reactivate the self-test by grounding, ungrounding, and re-grounding the Self-Test Input (STI) connector. You are now in the wiggle test mode.
  2. Tap, move, and wiggle the suspected circuits sensors and wiring. When a fault is detected, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) will set a code and signal a fault by flashing the malfunction indicator light light and by briefly energizing the Self-Test Output (STO) circuit (resulting in a needle deflection if an analog voltmeter is being used.
  3. To exit the wiggle test mode, deactivate the self test and turn the key "OFF".

KEY ON ENGINE RUNNING WIGGLE TEST

1. Ensure the ignition switch is "OFF".
  2. Start the engine, then activate, deactivate, and reactivate the self test. You are now in the engine running wiggle test mode.
  3. Tap, move, and wiggle the suspected circuits sensors and wiring. When a fault is detected, the PCM will set a code and signal a fault.
  4. To exit the wiggle test mode, deactivate the self test and turn the key OFF.

NOTES

• This test is intended to allow the technician to isolate intermittent faults.
  • The Key On Engine Running (KOER) wiggle test may be entered any time the engine is running.
  • Turing the ignition "OFF" will terminate the KOER wiggle test.

WHERE TO GO NEXT

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gene -I had two different groups use a code reader (OBD1 Reader at Mr.Tranmission and O'Riellys) to find out what the problem was. It did not help. I did forget to tell you that while I can do mechanical work, I am not well versed on the electrical side, so, some of what you wrote is hard to understand. As an example:Where is this? "Data Link Connector (DLC)"Where is this? "Analog Voltmeter Connection"What do I turn the Voltmeter dials and switches to?Where is this? "1.Activate, deactivate, and reactivate the self-test by grounding, ungrounding, and re-grounding the Self-Test Input (STI) connector"Where are these? "2.Tap, move, and wiggle the suspected circuits sensors and wiring."Where is this?....malfunction indicator light light....I guess that it is always good to have pictures or video.How can I test the fuel pump to see if it is bad, besides pulling it out? Do you think that after installing a new one several years ago, this one could go bad?The computer has a red light on it that will go on if I push a button on iit. It only stays on for a few seconds and then shuts off.As for performing these tests, I will have to wait for the weather to improve in a few days.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

The self test connnector is under the hood, should be on the drivers side(data link connecotr) If it is still in the plastic shell it will say self test on it a black cover that looks like the two connectors in the attachment. You dont need an analog meter, just jump a wire across the terminals shown and follow the instructions to watch the number or times the check engine light flashes. This truck's codes will be a 3 digit series, for instance a 312 code wil flash three times, one time and 2 times, then go to the next code until all codes are displayed and repeat the first code number. Once you know what codes are stored, I can assist further in the diagnosis.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Gene -I am home from work and it is too dangerous to work outside on my car (Storming). Also I may have to charge it up because it has been sitting for two weeks.How long will my session with you last.- Michael
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

No problem, remains open until you rate the question and I follow up if you need more help.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hello Gene -What I did was first to run the engine for about 10 minutes to warm it up. Then turned it off for about a minute. Ran a wire from the test pig tail to the number 2 terminal of the set of wires for testing as shown on UTube.. Turn the key to the on position to read the codes. When I did that, I got a solid light.So, do I need to do the wiggle test with the set up still?Or do you think the PCM is malfunctioning?- Michael.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gene -One more thing which I think may be important. When I pulled the panel off where the computer is on the passenger inside, the computer has a red light which will come on if I push some type of button on it like a circuit breaker. It will stay on for about a 5 to 10 seconds and then go off.What do you think?- Michael
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

That is probably the 4x4 module you are looking at if it has a red light on it. The PCM is located down by the drivers side under the dash. Yes if the PCM wont enter a self test mode, it sounds like an issue with the PCM

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gene -The thing with the red light on it is white rectangle about 4 inches wide by 12 inches tall by about one inch thick with lot of wires running into it.As for the PCM, what does it look like?I can't remember seeing anything like a computer on the drivers side, but, that is the logical place to put it. I have checked the port between the engine compartment and the cabin sometime ago and it was clean.So, if the PCM is bad, the engine can still run. Also I guess that everything is bad because of it.True?If the PCM is bad, where do I get a good deal on one?- Michael
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Yes it can. It is located on the drivers side firewall, way below the brake master and booster, buried. Its easier to remove the left front fender skirt to unbolt the large connector. If you look inside the dirvers side kick panel you will see the back of it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gene -Is that insde the cabin or engine carpment?How big is it (x by x by x)?What color is it (Black, blue, grey, etc.)?The reason I ask is that I think mine is blue ocated inside near the stearing column.and about 4" x 4" v 2"- Michael
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gene -Is that insde the cabin or engine compartment?How big is it (x by x by x)?What color is it (Black, blue, grey, etc.)?The reason I ask is that I think mine is blue located inside near the stearing column.and about 4" x 4" x 2"- Michael
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

It has a 104 pin connecor to the pcm which is black with a 10 mm bolt holding it in the center. the pcm is silver and sitsthrough the firewall. The main part of it is inside the vehicle.Dont know actual dimensions off hand.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gene -I did inspect that but it appeard to me that all it looked like was a big plug thru the firewall. I guess that I need to go back and look at that again.- Michael
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Yes its buried. Why its easier to pull back the fender well splash shield to see it. Its way down by your feet near the parking brake inside. Cant miss it

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

This is all you will see under the hood

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gene -Hope that you are doing well today. If it isn't raining here, it is swarming with disease carring mosquitos.As for your pictures, they somewhat helpful.The last one that you sent is one that I am aware of, but, mine is much bigger in size, has a bigger firewall attachment, and is only a port for passing wires thru the fire wall. On the other side of the firewall, the wires continue around up under the dash and connect up to multiple devices. I did open this up only to see if the connection had been contaminated or corroded.I took some pictures of this and other item I found under the dash. I need a better idea as to what mine would look like.- Michael
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Gene -I think I found it. It is not what you sent but located close to it. I will see if I can pull it out later today when it is not raining and when I have more coffee in me. So once I get it out, where can I get a good deal on a replacement? Some people say Amazon has good prices.- Michael
Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Yes amazon, anywhere will sell this module at a decent price. If you need more h elp let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 5 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern? The question remains open until it is rated.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello Gene -I hope that you are doing well.I have not had a chance to get back to you for two reasons.The first reason is that I have been out of town for the past four weeks and the second reason is that I have been without power cleaning up after our hurricane visit.Just to bring you up to date, I finally got a new PCM from Rock Auto and installed it between rain storms. The Bronco ran well with no problems while sitting in my driveway, but, when I took it out for a spin, it would not shift out of first gear unless I had the rpms up high. Also there is no Odometor reading. So what do you think.- Michael
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello...........
Expert:  HDGENE replied 4 months ago.

Ok if the speedometer/odometer isnt working, it can cause a delayed upshift. Check the fuses to see if any are blown, this can cause the odometer to be inop