Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience

7.3 looses power and shakes inter high egts and low boost,

Customer Question

7.3 looses power and shakes inter high egts and low boost
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 01 f250
JA: What year is your F250?
Customer: 2001
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i am a mechanic usually have no issues with 7.3 was at another shop put new injectors and valve cover gaskets and same issue high pressure oil pump pressure great have done lot of work in past on this truck at other shop since then opened my own shop
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: yes never had a issue like this its the 7.3 is this a real person?
JA: I'm the Ford Mechanic's Assistant. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: okay i am suspecting the idm or wiring but it idles beautiful and one test drive runs great next constantly falling on its face under load and no codes
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: truck has 260 k on it has a upgraded turbo a adrenaline hpop riff raff fuel pressure return kit and all the full tank mods ran great up till 3 months ago and power fell off and now doing this
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 2 months ago.

Hello, If you unplug the ICP sensor is there oil present

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no has a newer sensor from ford has great oil pressure pressure increases with throttle when issue is happening has a newer adrenaline hpop and put in new ipr when put pump in
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
also checked fuel pressure after lift pump on rail and runs around 65 70 psi jumps around a bit
Expert:  Ray M. replied 2 months ago.

Have you checked the fuel pressure under load?

Expert:  Ray M. replied 2 months ago.

Also a better test is to check the fuel restriction under load

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hello yes checked pressure under load has all the fuel tank mods done also the mixing chamber has been removed and the return line extended away from pick up to eliminate the chance of air entering the line from the tank and has 3/8 fuel line from tank to lift pump for better fuel flow then original 5/16 line.. it feels like losing one side of the motor when happens egt probe is in the drivers side manifold going to install a second in passengers side manifold and watch egt temps from each side have a buddy going to loan me his tester i d m not the typical issue have seen with idm but running out ideas
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

The other tech opted out. Would you like me to help?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hello names tommy I am still trying to find a solution to this problem have tried most every thing i can think of and even looked into some silly ideas have heard. I D M didnt help same with a loaner pcm tried tilting the injector harness to see if was loosing connection nothing has helped truck idles fine soon as under load starts loosing power no boost high egt and starts shaking like missing no codes and buzz tests good and cylinder contribution good but can only check under idle ANY ideas at this time would be great THANKS

When you rev the engine in park and it runs bad does the exhaust smoke?

D you get the same results of low power when the engine is cold and hot?

When reving the engine is the ICP pressure dropping?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am contacting you because the post has not been closed out/completed.
  • It appears you were not pleased with my help.
  • If more assistance is needed, reply and let me know, also let me know what it is you're needing to be pleased.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I never know it.)
  • You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, and I do not want you to leave having paid for something that did not meet your wants/needs and myself not receiving a feedback selection from yourself.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hello icp pressure climbs with throttle little smoke comes out on accel with no load when it acts up passengers side looses 300 400 degrees i put in a second egt probe pretty sure either having a electrical issue or a injector dropping out and some times runs great for hours of driving others cant get out of my parking lot but always idles fine and passes buzz test and contribution test

When you do raise the rpm does your contribution or power balance test tell you which cylinder is dropping out?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no soon as bring off idle power balance and contribution drop out

Do you have the ability to try another scan tool. A power balance balance test should work up to 2500 rpms.